I used to ride with my dad in the potato truck and we would listen to Paul Harvey 's "The Rest of the Story." I miss those long summer days, my dad, and Paul Harvey; but now you may hear the rest of OUR story! ..."Good Day"

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Today's funny interaction with Alex

So lately, I have had problems with Alex, most minor, but he just doesn't seem happy to play at my house anymore. One of his "emotional outlets" is to cry. It's starting to get old, so today I asked him to come down in the middle of one of his cry fits and visit with me.

I asked him if Abby had bullied him, he said no. I asked him what the problem was, he said that he just missed his mom. (She is gone only four hours a day, three days a week) That being said, I decided kids were smart and I would try and rationalize with him.


So I said, do you realize that when you cry, it doesn't bring your mom here any faster? The only thing that it does do, is make everyone on edge. I went on for a minute or two, expounding. Well he started to tear up again, so I asked him if I could do anything for him. He again said no. I asked if Abby could do anything for him, he again said no. So to finish it off, I wanted him to have some input too, so I said, well, tell me what you think. His answer? (I think I can repeat it verbatim...) "Sometimes when I'm at home, I put socks on my hands and pretend they are puppets." All I could say was, "that sounds cool!" Surprisingly, he was much better after that.

As I have reflected on that conversation, I can't help giggle. Completely random!

1 comment: